DeFilter is an efficient tool to even out tonal imbalances in a recording or reduce resonant peaks or dips in the frequency spectrum. Even severe issues such as comb filter effects or standing waves from untreated rooms can be addressed. DeFilter can match recordings to target profiles such as music or speech, or alternatively extract the overall timbre from the source – the large strokes – while evening out narrow peaks and dips. The latter removes resonances and comb filter effects effectively while preserving the tonal character of the input signal. Recordings can also be equalized to match a reference recording.
Great care has been taken to provide a user interface that is straightforward to use. Frequency dependent correction levels can be defined using custom curves, so that DeFilter can focus on problematic frequency ranges while leaving other frequency regions untouched. Realtime spectrum analyzers for both the input and output signals visualize the effect on the frequency spectrum.
- Fix issues in a mix prior to mastering
- Reduce resonances caused by untreated room acoustics
- Matched equalization (automatic equalization based on a reference signal)
- Improve clarity and intelligibility of speech
- Instant fix for nasty comb filter effects
Acon Digital DeFilter is available for both Windows (PC) and OS X (Macintosh). Both 32 and 64 bit versions are available, and the plug-in formats VST, AAX and Audio Units (OS X only) are supported.
Another brilliant little plug-in from the guys at Acon Digital. […] The results are equally impressive.
Tracks In The Box take a look at DeFilter. Specifically, how to remove resonances, and match EQ a guitar track and a master mix.
Mike from Pro Tools Expert takes a look at Acon Digital DeFilter.
StratoRules demonstrates how to extract the frequency response of guitar cabinets using DeFilter.
Platforms and Plugin Formats
- Available as VST or AAX plug-in on PC (Windows)
- Available as VST, AAX or AU plug-in on Apple Macintosh (OSX)
- Native 32 bit and 64 bit versions are available
- Supports sampling rates up to 96 kHz
Acon Digital DeFilter
- Automatically estimates correction filter that evens out the frequency spectrum
- Removes resonances and comb filter effects
- Predefined target profiles include music, speech and an automatic mode that extracts timbre from the input signal
- Correction filters can be saved and used as a reference for matched equalization
- Adjustable length of the correction filter from 1 to 20 milliseconds
- Frequency spectrum representation of the of the following signals:
- Correction filter
- Input signal
- Output signal
- Frequency emphasis filter for the the level of correction
PC Version (Windows)
- A Pentium IV or higher
- Minimum 256 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP
- A host application that is compatible with VST (32 bit or 64 bit) or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher)
Macintosh Version (OSX)
- 64 bit Intel CPU
- OSX 10.6 or later
- A host application that is compatible with AU, VST or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher)