The new Equalize 2 — now with Tilt and Bandpass Filters
Acon Digital Equalize is a parametric equalizer plug-in that combines unique features with excellent workflow and an intuitive user interface. Unlike other equalizers, you can freely adjust not only center frequency, gain and bandwidths, but also the filter slope for each band. The filter slope can be set anywhere from 3 dB to ultra-sharp 120 dB per octave. Needless to say, you can operate Equalize as a zero latency plug-in when using the minimum phase mode or choose to preserve the phase relationships in the linear phase mode. Equalize goes one step further, though, and introduces the unique mixed phase mode that allows you to set the latency freely in the range 5 to 120 milliseconds while preserving the phase relationships as far as possible. That gives a unique control over potential pre-ringing artifacts which is a common problem with linear phase filtering. Latency values below 20 milliseconds ensure that any pre-ringing is masked by the temporal masking of the human hearing while preserving the time-alignment across the audible frequency range.
Great care has been taken to provide a user interface that is straight forward to use. Band parameters can be adjusted using handles directly in the graphical representation of the frequency response, including bandwidths and filter slopes. A flexible real-time analyzer lets you monitor every aspect of the processing. You can easily switch between full, mid, side, left or right channel processing for each band and Equalize automatically routes the audio signal internally to ensure the best results and lowest possible latency.
- Eight different band filter types — low cut, low shelf, peak, tilt, bandpass, notch, high shelf and high cut
- Up to twelve independent bands
- Freely adjustable gain, frequency, bandwidth, resonance and filter slope
- Three different phase modes, including the novel mixed phase mode with adjustable latency
- Choose channel mode for each band independently (mid, side, left, right or full processing)
Acon Digital Equalize 2 is available as VST, VST3 or AAX for both Windows and Mac or as AU plug-ins for Mac. There are 32 and 64 bit versions for Windows. The Mac version is 64 bit and runs natively on both ARM (such as Apple M1) and Intel processors.
Equalize’s smoothly variable control over its filter slopes – something we don’t recall seeing on any other EQ – along with the ability to finetune phase/latency, will endear it to mixing perfectionists.
It’s a very, very powerful plug-in. […] Very well designed, very clean and lovely interface […]
Great Swiss army knife EQ. I highly recommend […] this one. The new mixed phase mode […] – it’s fantastic.
Absolutely brilliant EQ! Use it everyday.
Clean equalizers such as Acon Digital Equalize are fully characterized by the filter curve and the phase distribution. When you use the linear or minimum phase modes, Equalize won’t sound different than any other properly programmed equalizer capable of producing the same filter curve. However, the phase distribution has a huge impact on the audio quality and the mixed phase mode is unique in Equalize. The following audio examples illustrate the effect of the different modes. The equalizer settings were kept identical except for the phase mode in the processed versions of each demo track.
Phase modes in Equalize
The new version of Equalize includes two new filter types – tilt and bandpass. It now offers a total of eight different filter types. Just like the previously available filters, both the tilt and bandpass filters offer the unique continuously adjustable filter slopes in the range 3 to 120 dB per octave.
The frequency range of the equalizer curve can now be altered conveniently by dragging the edges of the frequency axis or moved by clicking and dragging the center. This makes it possible to zoom in on specific frequency ranges for more precise control. A new preferences page offer user settings such as analyzer resolution and user interface language. Another new feature is the optional piano keyboard display above the frequency axis. Band frequencies can easily be set to match a tone’s frequency by clicking the key on the piano keyboard.
New Features at a Glance
- Two new filter types — tilt and bandpass filters
- Adjustable frequency range in the equalizer curve editor
- Optional piano keyboard display
- EUCON and full Pro Tools HW controller support
- New preferences page with spectrum analyzer, tooltip, language and piano roll settings
- Spectrum analyzer with adjustable frequency tilt
Platforms and Plug-in Formats
- Available as VST, VST3 or AAX plug-ins on PC (Windows)
- Available as VST, VST3, AAX or AU plug-ins on Apple Macintosh (OS X)
- Native 32 bit or 64 bit versions of all plug-ins are available
- Supports sampling rates up to 96 kHz
- Supports multi-channel formats such as 5.1 and 7.1 surround
Acon Digital Equalize
- Up to twelve equalizer bands
- Eight different band filter types (low cut, low shelf, peak, tilt, bandpass, notch, high shelf and high cut)
- Band frequency, gain, bandwidth, resonance and filter slope is freely adjustable for each band
- Three different filter modes, minimum phase, linear phase or the novel mixed phase
- Adjustable latency and pre-ringing time in mixed phase mode
- Zero latency in minimum phase mode
- Channel mode (mid, side, left, right or full processing) can be set independently for each band
- Multiple selection of bands
- Resizable graphical user interface
- Solo and bypass modes
- Optional automatic make-up gain
- Optional gain to bandwidth linking
- Two spectrum analyzers that can analyze the input or output signal from the mid, side, left or right channel
- Graphical visualization of the equalizer frequency response
- Preset manager and a large number of factory presets
- Save, load and categorize user presets
PC Version (Windows)
- Windows 10 / 8 / 7
- Intel Core i3 or AMD multi-core processor (Intel Core i5 or faster recommended)
- 1366 x 768 display resolution (1920 x 1080 or higher recommended)
- 1 GB RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
- 1 GB free HD space
- A host application that is compatible with VST, VST3 or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher)
Macintosh Version (macOS)
- OS X 10.9 or later
- Runs natively on ARM64 and Intel
- 1 GB RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
- 1 GB free HD space
- A host application that is compatible with AU, VST, VST3 or AAX (Pro Tools 11 or higher)